The construction of the Bundaberg-Mt Perry railway line in the 1880's had bought an influx of navvies, timber-getters and farmers to the Gin Gin district. At the time, there were over 50 children of school age within a three-mile radius of the township.
A Provisional school in the Old telegraph office was approved with Arthur Moore appointed as the first teacher. The school was opened on the 26th of June 1882 with twenty-one enrolments consisting of 10 boys and 11 girls.
Mr Moore was advised by the district inspector that his services would be suspended form the 30th April 1885, and the school was closed for a short time. Mrs Emily McCrae was appointed to re-open the school. Both she and her successor, Mr Thurgah, taught in a 'ramshackle old hut'.
On the 17th of August 1889 at a public meeting, approval was given to establish a State School. The old school was sold for 17 pounds. Gin Gin State School opened on the 3rd of November 1890 with 24 boys and 26 girls. Mr Daniel Cleary was the first head teacher.
It has continued, on this site expanding with enrolment growth which today is around 270.